Mentoring

Cinthia - 90280, California

Believing in certain things actually gave me a different way of seeing life. I believe in friendship, accomplishment & education. I believe that becoming a useful person is a good idea. By useful, I mean to help out others when they’re in need.

Believing that everyone could make a difference in someone else life is actually a good way of looking at things around word. In South Gate H.S there are different academies that are doing different things around the school. The Business and Technology Academy, we decided to do something with 9th graders as the teachers were looking at student work and education in school. The teachers said that too many students were dropping out of school or just giving up. 40% of these years 9th graders are expected to drop out by the 12th grade.

Together, we the 12th graders, and the teachers, accomplished something really big. The 12 graders helped out the 9th graders by mentoring them. Every Friday we all meet in classrooms and talked to at least 3-4 different 9th graders. Each Friday was something about grades, class work, homework, if they needed help in something, we were there to assist.

Furthermore, becoming someone useful in school made me realize a lot of things. Knowing that I could help out someone else built up my own self confidence and improves my opinion of myself. Talking to the kids wasn’t that easy because some of them were really “rebels”. When we first started, our teacher told us that it wasn’t easy at all. But we knew we had to do it, to reach our goal of making this community better for all of us.

As the program continued and we got better at it, teachers saw a big change in the 9th graders success. Education is a big part of our life as we grow and more into the future. But there are times when we get stuck and we need some help to accomplish something. We have been part of helping kids change. And I’m proud of my self and the part I had in that I actually wanted to accomplish.