Paris in a Teacup

Julie - Corbin, Kentucky

I believe that everyone has at least one thing that they can turn to for everything, such as relationship problems, life struggles, and much more. Whether that something is real, imaginary, or spiritual, it’s always nice to be able to turn to someone with one’s biggest problems and to not be judged. For me, this something is my most prized possession and puppy, my Teacup Chihuahua, Paris.

I might be obsessed with my Teacup Chihuahua but don’t let that fool you, I’m not your typical Paris Hilton type of girl. Paris is the only thing in my life that has ever, and probably always will, love me unconditionally. She doesn’t expect the world of me, like the majority of my school work or even my parents at times; all she needs is food and water. She never judges, but only loves.

I had always wanted a dog, but my family traveled a lot and a dog was just an inconvenience. I remember when I was five years old, still living in Canada, my dad always told me, “When we move to the United States and get settled down, we’ll get you a dog.” We moved and there was still no sign of a dog. Dad would always say he didn’t want a dog scratching up his most prized possession, the grand piano. Year by year, I kept waiting patiently for this mystery dog to show up. Every Christmas and birthday that passed by I always assumed my dad would surprise me with the perfect puppy, just like people see in the movies.

The summer before my senior year of high school, I started looking into dogs again, even though I knew it was a lost cause because I was graduating and going off to college. But I kept looking anyway. I started looking up Teacup Chihuahua’s—the only dog that came to mind that I absolutely adored. As I went through pages and pages of Classifieds, I came across one that caught my eye. The only thing that separated this puppy from the others was the picture. Instead of just having the puppy on a couch, on a blanket, or in someone’s hands, this Chihuahua was in a coffee mug. I was sure Dad would fall for it, just like I had, and would have to say “yes”.

And I was right. After I showed him the picture of this little Chihuahua, Dad looked at Mom then looked back at me, kissed my forehead and said, “Happy Birthday, baby girl.” I was thrilled. I immediately called the woman to tell her I’d be there in the morning to pick up the puppy and to not sell her to anyone else. I went to Wal-Mart soon after and went crazy buying everything I thought my new puppy would want to make her comfortable in her new home. I bought a crate, puppy pads, toys, food and water bowls, collars, shampoos, treats; everything imaginable in the pet aisle, I bought it.

The next morning could not get there soon enough. I went to go pick her up and cried at the sight of her. This little Chihuahua was in a great, big cage all by herself, barely taking up three inches of it. She was so little; she fit in the palm of my hand. When it came to picking out a name for her, I thought about how I am French and also thought about how my mom was going to automatically speak to her in French. It only seemed fitting to name her “Paris”.

From that day on, I spent every second I could at home with her, whether it was playing with her, taking her to the store with me, or just driving around in my car with her in her little doggie seat. I nurture her like she is an actual child. She is so tiny and gets enough exercise by just running around the house, so I have a stroller to put her in when I want to take her outside. Along with the stroller, we have baby gates all over the house that restrict her to the kitchen, which is more than enough room for her, and also so we don’t lose her.

Paris is full of life and always seems to know when something is wrong. She always wants to play, but also always enjoys nice afternoon naps in her pink princess bed. I wouldn’t trade her for the world.

I spent the rest of my senior year involving her in just about everything. I was a senior at Corbin High School, whose mascot was the Redhounds, so I bought her a little shirt that I got personalized with my school colors, red and white, with “Little Redhound” printed on it. She also had a UK football jersey once I finally decided that I wanted to attend the University of Kentucky. I even had my senior pictures taken with her, as well as used her as the inspiration for my college entry essays.

Leaving her to go off to college was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do. My life was rapidly changing and I didn’t have the one thing in my life that seemed to always be able to make things right with one tail wag.

This brings me back to what I believe in. Having something so special in your life to be there for you through anything is the best feeling you can possibly have. Paris is a member of my family. She is my sister, my baby, and my best friend all at once. I might be obsessed, but I can’t think of a time since the day I got her where Paris has disappointed me in any way. She is perfect. This I believe, Paris is my cup of tea.