Happily Ever After

Christina - Fairfield, Ohio

“The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more, that plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds” (The Notebook). I believe in true love; the kind of love that is pure, yet powerful. I believe in soul mates; the kind of companion whom is the essence of one’s own existence-the reason for which he or she lives. But above all else, I believe in Prince Charming. Ever since I was a little girl, I have been fascinated with fairytales. I would lie awake at night, after listening to my bedtime story, and long to be like that of a princess. For every star in the sky, there was a wish- a wish I would make in hopes of finding my prince. While looking out my bedroom window, gazing into an endless sky of hope, I would wonder: when will Prince Charming come find me on his white horse? Will he confess his love to me while riding off into the sunset? Am I going to live happily ever after? This I have come to believe: Prince Charming exists outside of fairytales and inside reality.

Who says Cinderella and Snow White are the only ones who get to live happily ever after with Prince Charming? I may not be a real princess, or a character from a fairytale, but I do know that for every prince, there is a princess. And for every girl waiting, there is a boy searching. Love is like magic; its true beauty is kept secret from the rest of the world. It is mysterious and sometimes misleading. But it is there. It is as present as the wind in the trees and the clouds in the sky. For this reason, I have always known that my prince is out there- my true love, my soul mate. I have always felt in my heart that I would find him; I just didn’t know when.

It was August of 2008. School would be starting soon as summer was coming to an end. For some incoming college freshman, this was an exciting time for it meant new friends and new experiences; wild parties and mind blowing weekends. But for others like Clarissa, it wasn’t such an exciting time for she had to go away to school a week early for something so cruel, so excruciating, so unbearable-band camp. Although Clarissa was blessed with a music scholarship, she was cursed with one of its requirements- marching band. She had never marched before so she was quite nervous as she didn’t know what to expect. And it didn’t help that she knew not a single soul there. But low and behold, Clarissa got up bright and early to be on the marching band field along with 180 total strangers. Already at 8 AM it was miserably hot outside. She was told that the band would be practicing marching drills from 8AM to noon. While sweating profusely and marching around in squares, circles, triangles-any shape possible- Clarissa quickly discovered that marching band is one of the stupidest things on this Earth. But she sucked it up and managed to make it though until 7PM when the band was finally dismissed. That first day was a blur, but the second she remembers quite vividly. Much to her dismay, marching band would soon change for the better.

At the second day of band camp, Clarissa paid close attention to a species she had never seen before-the drumline. They were loud, obnoxious, and rude; she heard it was best to stay away from them. But she couldn’t help but notice one boy on the drumline in particular- the center snare player. His hair was light brown and his eyes were a soft, gentle blue. He seemed different than the other guys on the drumline for he was much quieter and more reserved. Clarissa found herself staring at him more and more; her sunglasses hiding her wondering eyes filled with infatuation. Later that night, Clarissa stayed after band to practice in the fine arts building. While walking out with a friend, she crossed pathways and met her fate, her destiny- the center snare on the drumline. He looked over at Clarissa and her friend, whom he knew from his hometown, and stopped to say hello. Instantly, she felt butterflies. Clarissa’s friend introduced her to him. He smiled back at her and her whole heart melted. “Hi, I’m Dave. It’s nice to meet you,” he said in his soft, gentle voice. She was speechless and motionless all at once; something was special about him. Little did she know, she had just met her prince. As Clarissa and her friend turned to walk away, she immediately began giggling. She tried to contain her laughter so as not to embarrass herself as she walked away, but she couldn’t help it. It was as if she was a little school girl with a crush.

Dave and Clarissa went out on their first date on Saturday, August 30 to a restaurant called DeSha’s. Clarissa was so nervous she could hardly touch her chicken salad. Although he didn’t appear to be, Dave was just as nervous. The pair talked the night away until a waiter came over to tell them the restaurant would be closing; they were completely unaware of how quickly the time passed. From that night on, the two became inseparable. Not a day passed where they went without seeing one another. One Sunday in October, Dave called Clarissa and asked her to come outside a little early. She knew from the way he was looking at her and holding her hand, he was going to say it. He was going to tell her he loved her; she just knew it in her heart for she felt the same way. And so he looked at her and said, “I love you, Clarissa.” That was all that needed to be said. They knew from that moment they could not live without each other. He was meant to be with her and only her. Clarissa had found her true love, her soul mate- her Prince Charming.

This story makes me believe in Prince Charming and in fairytales for this story is my own- I am Clarissa and Dave is my boyfriend D.J. It is because of my story that I have come to believe and now know: I have found my Prince Charming and made my dream fairytale into a reality.