Dirty Jobs

Kyle - louisville, Kentucky
Themes: work

“Dirty Jobs”

Many people today try to do the bare minimum and get by using such methods, but I believe life is more about hard work than it is trying to find shortcuts. While there all always exceptions to rules, like the millionaire high school dropout, doing the work is still the main way to choose to achieve the goals in my life. I try to live this out every day of my life and create as many opportunities for myself as I can. Knowing that I have put in the effort to accomplish something is extremely valuable, and I can feel better about myself after doing so. That is why I believe in doing the work.

My parents have been working as hard as they possibly could their entire lives, mostly for the well-being of my sister and me. My dad was born into a family of four other brothers and sisters. He went to a public high school in Louisville, but looked up to the Catholic high schools in dreams of attending one, since they had the best academics and athletics. He couldn’t attend these high schools because of the cost of tuition, and the fact that his parents had 4 other children to take care of. I would have to say my dad learned the hard way by not graduating college, but instead decided to experience everything that college had to offer. I cannot blame him for these decisions, but looking back I am sure he would have chosen to work and put in more effort than he had. His words of wisdom are still echo in my ears, “go to school so you won’t have to work your whole life like me.” My dad later enlisted into the navy, where he learned his stiff regiments of cleaning and manual labor that he enforces on the family still to this day. After spending several years in the navy traveling across the world, he came back to Louisville and has been working hard ever since. Being a firefighter in one of the busiest parts of Louisville, and also handling a lawn care company maintaining around 40 yards at the same time is enough work for anybody. He started me out at a young age helping to cut grass with him, whether it was just because he needed some extra help, or he wanted to show me the importance of every dollar earned, it was worth it. It is the type of values that I was glad that I was raised on. One thing I never heard my dad complain about was any of the work he had to do; it was always something that had to done no matter what. The same is with my mom, she has been working the same nine to five job as long as I can remember, but just like my father it was always for the betterment of the family.

I can’t begin to imagine the hours my parents have worked and sacrificed for my education, the amount of hours and money is overwhelming. My parents have managed to send my sister and I both to the catholic schools they grew up wishing they could attend, and they know that their hard work will pay off in the end for us and them. Due to their ability to work so hard for my well-being is one way in which I have seen how hard work pays off. I try to live my life out the same way they have, whether it is in the classroom to get good grades or how I used to train during the off season for soccer, I’ve always tried my hardest to be as successful as I could. I have also seen what hard work can buy. Whether it is our boat or camper, there is no price tag I could put on the family weekends at the lake every summer, or the month long summer trips as a kid to visit places like Mount Rushmore, the Hoover Dam, or Las Vegas strip. And these were all lifetime memories brought about because my parents were people that were willing to work for what they wanted, and I feel it as translated into the lives of both my sister and I. Doing the bare minimum will get me nowhere, but putting in the time and effort is where I can realize my goals. This is one reason why giving myself ambitions is vital, it gives me an accomplishment to reach for. If I didn’t have goals I would probably be much lazier than I am, but I recognize the importance of setting goals and trying to reach them, which is why I am attending this college. I chose the University of Kentucky to become an engineer, partially due to the enticing salary opportunities. I constantly have to remind myself that what happens now can affect my life 4 or 5 years down the road. Sometimes I forget about this, but I try to remind myself because I know college is significant in life in order to achieve a successful job later in my life.

Hard work what I feel is the ultimate answer to accomplishing goals, not trying to do the least amount of work and maybe getting lucky. I believe that hard work has been lost in this new world of technology, where farming and other types of dirty jobs are commonly overlooked by the presidents and CEO’s of powerful companies instead. America was built on principles of hard work and determination and that is how we became one of the most influential nations in the world. We did not sit back and relish in our success, but instead strove to be a better country and worked to improve on the weaknesses we had. America was founded on manual labor and the dirty jobs, and that is what still mainly runs our country to this day.