Ashley - Eldred, Pennsylvania

This I believe…life really is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re going to get next. I have learned throughout my life that things don’t always go as planned and life as you know it could change at any time. I suppose you could also compare life to a roller coaster. There are up and downs and no matter how many times you ride the same roller coaster each turn ends up being different.

I have had a fairly good life. My dad is the best man ever and has made sure that I have always had what I needed and more. I have grown up in a good neighborhood and have been quite privileged and I am grateful for that. Life hasn’t always been that easy though I have had many times where I wished that things could go back to the way they were when things were simple and life was easy.

My life has had many ups and downs and good and bad times. My parents split up when I was three and both moved on. Now I have two families. My dad, my step mom Crystal, my step sister Heaven, my little brother T.J., and my older brother Ryan. I also have my mom, my step dad, David and my little brother Tyler. I wasn’t really happy with either of these changes but I have grown to love each and everyone one of them. I have accepted the fact that I have two completely different families. Especially in today’s time where it’s not that uncommon.

Then came a big change my mom was moving back to Korea. David was in there air force and had been stationed over there. They moved the summer before my sixth grade year. Then that’s when I had started to hear from my mom less frequently. Before I would go and visit her every summer and every other Christmas. Soon I wasn’t hearing from her at all. My mom had moved back to Korea when I was 12 and I hadn’t heard from her at all until my 16th birthday when she sent me a birthday card. Last summer was the first time I had seen her in five years. It was a tough time in my life because I didn’t know whether or not I was ever going to be able to speak to her again because I had no way to get a hold of her. Luckily we talk at least every other week and are getting closer and closer.

The hardest time I have had to go through, though has probably been the fact that my dad and crystal both lost their jobs. In January 2007 Pittsburgh Corning Glass Company decided to buy glass block from china and pass them off as their own. Unfortunately this was the reason many people in the area lost their jobs including my dad and crystal. Times have been tough since then and money has been tight. Both of my parents have been going to school since the loss of their jobs and my dad is actually working again. It hasn’t really been enough to do anything with. I have myself grown up in these past two years because I have had to give up a lot of things because we just don’t have the money. It has been very hard but we are gradually making it through and as a family we will stay strong.

Therefore life really is like a box of chocolates. Sometimes you get one you don’t like or you get one you love, and there’s never a chart when you want it the most. Life really is like that roller coaster you go up the hill then you go down and then around the corner and upside down. No matter how many times your ride that roller coaster you still don’t know what to expect next. Like life it’s always different, and sometimes not that fun. This I believe.