The Life of My Little Sister

Alyssa - Las Cruces, New Mexico
Themes: setbacks

I have a nine year old sister name Bianca. I love her with all my heart! She’s a good sister. Yeah, we fight but, deep down we’re still sisters. Now let me tell you a couple of things about my sister. Bianca is very smart. She has all A’s right now. She can also be a sassy mouth!! And very annoying…sometimes. But most of all, Bianca is very very brave!!

Why do I say she’s so brave? Well, Bianca’s dad, Toth Alonso, has been in jail most of her life. And I wonder and say to myself, how does she do it? If my dad was in jail, I know I’d be a little baby and cry for him all the time.

The other day I asked my sister Bianca, “How do you do it?”

She said, “Do what?”

“Don’t you cry for your dad?”

My sister just said, “I try to stay calm and strong.”

I was just amazed!! She’s so positive about her life. So if you’re wondering why he went to jail, first of all, no, he didn’t mean to hurt or kill anyone. He’s in jail because he wanted to protect his sister Daphne. Toth and Daphne had been at a bar and went outside to the parking lot. Some drunk guy approached Daphne and started grabbing her. Of course Toth stood up to protect her.

“Hey, Man! Get your hands off my sister!”

The drunk guy swung at Toth and Toth swung back, hitting him. The drunk guy had fallen and hit his head on the curb. He bled to death! Toth and Daphne took him to the hospital, but it was too late. He had already left the world. Toth was arrested, found guilty, and sentenced to fifteen years.

For eight years I’ve notice how my mom reacts to his letters. It’s like she’s on an emotional rollercoaster. Sometimes I cry when I read the letters he sends me. He always gives me very helping GOOD advice, even if it’s about boys. I just love all the drawings he creates for me and my family!! I feel so bad sometimes when I visit him because we only have contact behind a window.

When we visit we can’t hug or…anything. I can tell he gets very anxious!! But I thank God that he will be home in two or three years because he has behaved himself. The whole time he has been in jail he has been trying everything (except escaping) to get out: extra work and good behavior. I also believe he was taking college classes. Because of doing all the extra work, the court will decide to either let him go in two or three years or keep him in

I believe in my sister Bianca. She didn’t let her life go to waste even though her dad was put in jail.

We all have struggles in life, but when we do fall, we have to dust ourselves off and try again.