This I Believe – Abortion

Steve - Castle Rock, Colorado

THIS I BELIEVE

Human life is a very precious thing. Humans a race do not have a good history of living by this principle. Wars, murders and accidents have all unjustly taken the lives of those who deserve to live. Some believe that life should never be taken; some believe that it only should be taken in the name of justice; very few believe that it can be taken without regard. Few things on this Earth are more valuable than human life. I believe that every single person has the duty to stand up if they see life threatened.

History has seen many examples of the justification of murder by changing the definition of human life. Genocide in Nazi Germany was justified this way. Different races of slaves have been reclassified from human to allow a murder to go unpunished. Today society has classified a child inside a mother a non-human and one outside the mother as human. This has allowed for tens of millions of murders inside the womb of the mother. Just as other historical instances of the reclassification of human life, society only took a decade or two to accept the new definition and sit down rather than act on it. Seeing this event in my lifetime has given me a drive and a sense of purpose.

The importance of the issue of woman’s rights and freedom does not justify the taking of a life. I believe life starts at conception because the Bible speaks of a fetus as a person. However, I cannot expect everyone to take this view. I can expect people to believe that all men are created equal and that we are endowed with the unalienable rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I can expect that people would agree that the child wasn’t created when it was born, but it is existed on the other side of the mother’s womb as the same person. The child wasn’t created the day before birth or even 8 months before birth. The same person existed the entire time. The only moment that something changed was at conception. The entire rest of the pregnancy and for the rest of the person’s life a human being existed.

I believe that I and the rest of the human race have a duty to stand up for the rights of this group of completely helpless human beings. No person is more innocent than a child and no person needs someone else to stand up for them as much as victims of abortion. I believe in not making the mistake of so many other generations in allowing society to redefine life so that it can justify the taking of it. If a God exists, I have no doubt that He will ensure the justice that was not carried out on Earth. Society has a duty to defend those who cannot defend themselves, this I believe.