Pete - Las Cruces

I believe that comebacks can happen, not comebacks in the movies that are practiced. I’m talking about real life comebacks. Have you ever had an addiction that was holding you down, that all day and all night you were doing that drug every day of the week?

I believe that you can come back from your strongest addiction. Even when you think that you’re going to die from this drug, your whole life can still turn around. Of course you need encouragement, and for my mom, my two sisters and I were her encouragement. It took just about a year ago until that addiction broke away, and we wouldn’t be so distant from one another.

About seven years ago when I was six my mom got arrested for drug possession. For fourteen month she was in jail. After she got out she was clean for about six months. But then we started to notice that she was staying in the restroom again. The night before she got arrested, my mom let one of her friends, or at least we thought he was her friend, borrow her car to go to the to video rental store. He put crystal meth into her purse and he called the cops. He told them just because he was mad at the owners for kicking him out of the apartments that she had it. I was in the car when we were going home and we turned around when we saw the police. They followed us. We stopped at one of our friend’s houses and they searched the car. They found the meth and arrested my mom. You would hurt too if your mom got arrested in front of you to.

When she got out of jail the second time, we were shocked that she had gotten out so soon. It had been two years since we had seen our mom. She was supposed to stay in for seven years, but she got a parole officer and received probation for five years.

Now my sisters and I all have a better relationship with our mom. But it took a little time to build that relationship. At first she struggled to provide for us, but she did provide, and has ever since.

I still believe in comebacks can happen.