The Power of Music

Austin - Greenville, South Carolina

From the time I was a little boy, music has always held a special place in my heart. I can remember Saturday mornings blasting the stereo as I got ready to go to my baseball game. Me and my dad would turn it to 93.3 The Planet and rock out as we hurried to try and eat something. I loved those days. I don’t know, there is just something about music that gets me going, it’s almost like something I can physically feel. When I crank that volume knob and become all ears, I become entranced. The music puts me in a place I love and I can honestly say I feel it running through my body. This I believe, music has changed my life.

When I was in the fourth grade I got my first guitar. I can’t say it was then that I knew music was my passion, but it definitely opened my eyes to a whole new side of music. That same year I meet my best friend, Jeff Moody, he too was a music lover and we spent many a day playing music while we chilled, as well as playing instruments together. Ironically, I also moved into the house directly behind his that same year, almost as if it was destiny for us to meet. We began playing our instruments every day, he on the drums and me on the guitar. We were inseparable and every chance we got we were focusing on developing our instrumental skills. Eventually, our desire to play music lead us to form a band. This decision would be the one to change my life forever.

During my sixth grade summer I met another one of my best friends, Justin White, through another friend of mine. We were all into skateboarding at the time, so we would pop in a Blink CD or The Offspring and skate the driveway or the street. Listening to the music as we skated pumped us up, and it also got us singing. I knew me and Jeff loved music and had been wanting to start a band, then once I became aware Justin played the bass, it seemed too good to be true. This was a turning point in our relationship and our lives. Not only had we become close friends, but we also shared an equal passion to play music. Music had become more than just a hobby for me, it had become a way of life. It presented a way for me express myself and be an individual. Music boosted my confidence and made me feel like I stood apart from everyone else.

Music has become my drug. I need it, I want it, and It’s always on my mind. Whether I’m in a bad mood or a good mood, I know that music has got my fix. Playing gives me a feeling that I can’t describe and that’s how I know it’s made me better. So this I believe, music has the power to change.