Positive

riley - bothell, Washington

The human mind has a way of focusing on the negatives in life. One negative can out way four positives. The battle to try and keep the spotlight on the good things in life is never won. I guess as a society we are greedy, selfish, always wanting more from life then what we are willing to put into it. How is it that poems and songs of sorrow can fly from our hearts, to our finger tips, and then onto paper in just a matter of seconds, but writing something joyful, you have to stop, take a minute and made sure you are capturing it just right. It’s easier to wrap our thought around a negative until we have looked at it from every possible angle. When you go to bed at night, is it the little moments that made you smile that day you are left with to dream about, or the few things that made you frown and turn sour that you now dwell on.

When I was young, this wasn’t that long ago, people still consider me to be innocent. I use to be embarrassed of my home, the way it smelt, and how no matter how many times you cleaned it, it still seemed messy. My home wasn’t what I wanted it to be but at least I had a place to call home. In 2005, there were 744,000 homeless people in the United States. I had it better then at least 744,000 people, but yet I couldn’t see this. I just saw my assumed horrible and miserable life. Instead I should have been grateful for having insulated walls to keep me warm at night from the harsh winds that blew in the winter, a bed to climb into when the sun went down, a table to sit around and eat my food that my mom had just prepared and at least my home had a smell and wasn’t just the city, polluted air. I should have been grateful; I had it better then 744,00 people out there sleeping under a highway bridge, a park, a stoop outside a building.

I believe no matter how bad you think you have it, someone out there has it worse. You have over looked so many simple things to be happy about in life. Life is meant to be lived and not dwelled on. Bad things do happen and its how you handle the situation that makes it better or worse. Appreciate what you have and don’t get worked up about what you wish you had because someone out there is wishing they had at least what you do.