Speed Bumps

Rebecca - Las Cruces, New Mexico

Have you ever thought about the things that are made for your safety but how they can possibly hurt someone? Well, this is how a speed bump hurt someone.

I was in Mexico. It was the last week of summer vacation. I wanted to go to the park on my bike. My brother Francisco volunteered to ride with me. While we were at the park, we noticed it became dark so we headed home.

We came to a hill that we needed to go down. The hill didn’t seem steep, so we dropped down at full speed. When I noticed the hill was too steep, it was too late. I saw a speed bump straight ahead; the bump was really high. When I turned back to warn him it was too late. I was on top of the speed bump. I noticed there was a lot of little rocks right after the bump. I made it over the big speed bump; I was going straight to the sand. All of a sudden I heard Francisco fall when his bike tried to go over the hill. I squeezed the brakes, but I squeezed too hard; my back wheel shifted a little. My bike turned hard which made me fall right on top of some rocks. I got up slowly and turned around to see if Francisco was okay; he was on the ground trying to get his breath back. I got my bike back up and when I was going to put my leg over the seat, pain attacked my knee and elbow; I couldn’t bend or straighten them. I saw a car drive right in front of me, it was my mom. I wanted to see what was up with my elbow. I twisted my arm and I saw that my elbow was bleeding. My side burned; I lifted up my shirt to see what I did. I burned myself and I was beginning to bleed. My mom got out of the car to see if we were okay. After my mom saw I couldn’t move, she told me to get in and that she would drive us home. I had to limp into the car. Francisco lucked out and only hurt his ankle but it was nothing serious. When we got home my mom washed up our cuts.

I couldn’t walk alone for about a week. I couldn’t straighten out my arm for about a week. I wondered about that night for a while. I mean, it was hard not to when my whole body hurt. I don’t think if the speed bump was there, I wouldn’t have scarred my elbow and side.

Even though I got hurt, I still believe in speed bumps; they are there for a reason, to help people cross roads or just to keep cars from speeding down hills.