I believe in Confidence

Nicholas - Las Cruces, New Mexico
Themes: sports

I believe in the Detroit Tigers baseball team. They’re my favorite. I think they’ll have a good team this year. They’ve been winning most of their games. Last I checked they were tied for 1st place in their division. My favorite players for Detroit are Todd Jones and Brandon Inge. Jones plays relief pitcher. He closes the games; usually he pitches like one to two innings. Brandon plays centerfield, catcher, and third base. I love watching sports, but my two favorite sports are tennis and baseball.

I play for the Las Cruces Patriots. I have been playing my whole life since I was four. We were sponsored by the National Guard. It’s fun because we have home and away jerseys. It’s really cool because they’re really busy and they can still give us jerseys and equipment. Anyway, as much as I love watching baseball, I love playing it even more. I play 2nd base and pitcher sometimes. Last year we only won two games and lost the rest of them. We were never that good, but we had fun and did our best, like the Detroit Tigers. But I think we will win more games this year; we have a good team.

In tennis my team is really good. My middle school tennis team came in 2nd place out all the middle schools in Las Cruces, New Mexico. In the tournament my partner Collin and I came in 2nd place out of every player in middle school who played doubles. I have been playing tennis only since last year when I was in 6th grade, but my dad played tennis in high school so he helps me practice a lot. The thing I don’t like about tennis though is that a lot of people think it’s a girl sport. I don’t see how. Girls play it, but guys play it, too. You run a lot. If you’re playing a good player, it’s a difficult sport to learn. Also people say it’s an easy sport. How is that? If they tried to play someone who plays tennis well, they would be beaten badly.

Injuries are bad in any sport. People I know think baseball is the easiest sport and it’s boring. Baseball is dangerous too because people wear metal cleats when they slide. You have to watch out or they will spike you. And I know some people who got spiked. It looked bad all the way from his knee to his ankle; the cleats stabbed into him.

I have confidence in the Detroit Tigers, just like my team. They were bad last year and the year before. We stunk last year in baseball and the year before. But I think we both can do better this year. We can win more games than two. In tennis and baseball there is still room for improvement. In tennis we can come in 1st place and in baseball we can win more games. I believe in Confidence.