Dana - St. Charles, Missouri

I believe that bad things do happen to good people. Autumn Serenity Broderick is the perfect example of a good person who has had bad things happen to her. She is not even two and is already battling with Neuroblastoma Cancer. If a full grown man or woman struggles with chemotherapy, imagine a 20 pound baby enduring the excruciating pains of this treatment. Imagine a small child in a hospital bed, hooked up to several monitors with different tubes running through her body, not knowing exactly what is going on. Imagine her losing all of her hair and her skin turning a dark colour. Now visualize her not eating for 10 days, because this is what I saw happen to her. Imagine what her mother has to go through, knowing that her daughter is sick, and the fact that every time she runs a fever she has to rush her to Children’s Hospital. When I found out that my best friend’s niece had Neuroblastoma Cancer, it was the last thing I could have imagined her telling me that day. I was ready for her to tell me about her night, the latest gossip, or even something cute Autumn had done earlier that day; but not that her precious niece had numerous tumours throughout her entire body. Suddenly after hearing this news, Autumn’s world had been turned upside down, as well as everyone else’s in her life. It’s hard to imagine that not that long ago Autumn’s life had just begun and already she had to struggle with something that no one could really imagine. Already she was battling for her life, struggling to get by each day not knowing what would happen. I guess that bad things really do happen to good people, even an innocent child. To stay positive each day that she has cancer, Autumn has support from many people who love and care about her. Friends and family and even people who have heard about Autumn have all come together to help her. Although Autumn is too young to know them yet, she has support from these kind and compassionate people. This just goes to show that although bad things do happen to good people, there is a way to overcome the battles in life, with the support of the people who love and care for you. (402)