Kevin - Central Falls, Rhode Island
Themes: change

I believe in change, it is where we can go, and how different we can become. Change has come to mean a lot of things in today’s society. More than anything else change has become a word synonymous with Barack Obama. He ran his campaign based on that one word and it took him all the way to the White House. Change can be good or bad, and many people are afraid of change. Too many people today are too scared to see where the change can take them, especially when they have become complacent in their everyday lives. However this is not the case for me, because I know firsthand how much a person can change, and almost without realizing it.

Back when I first came to Blackstone Academy, I would be considered conservative. However I slowly became more and more liberal. This was evident one summer day. I was going to see a movie with my friends, and my dad was giving my friend and me a ride there. It was a hot day; this was made very clear by the old man in pink short-shorts. Somehow the conversation went to politics, and I brought up Hillary Clinton. When I said that I believe she should become president, my dad immediately responded with “don’t make me hate you.” This was very funny and had both my friend and I laughing. But it also made me realize how different my opinions have become, and where I was only two years ago.

Although Barack Obama is who people think of when the idea of change comes up, my change was because to the campaign of Hillary Clinton. I found myself captivated by politics for the fist time and it soon became about more than her charisma. Her actual political beliefs started to inspire me. I had long considered myself pro-life because of my Christian upbringing; however, after hearing Senator Clinton’s views on the issue, my stance changed. Hillary Clinton stated that even if she is personally opposed to abortion, she does not believe it should be illegal. Hearing Senator Clinton’s stance on abortion amazed me, and is something that continues to make me smile.

Change isn’t always an easy thing; it can be one of the hardest things to go through. People say the grass is always greener on the other side, and no matter how much work it takes I believe you should be where you want to be in life. Not everything worthwhile is easy, and I believe that a significant change always has the potential to improve a life. Following your dreams will never be a risk free venture, but if you want to make a difference in your life, they should never be ignored. Change has made me see a whole new side of politics, and I know firsthand the positive things that can come out of a death in a family. No matter the risk, or the fear involved, change is something that is a part of everyones life. I believe in change, because no matter if it is good or bad it will always be a part of our lives.