A Certain

Blake - Pawtucket, Rhode Island

A Certain “State” of Mind

It’s been almost three years now since I first met Kay on the internet. It was something I had never done before but I figured I’d give it a try. After a year and a half I went to visit her in Morganfield, Kentucky, something I’d never thought I’d do. Since then I have visited four times. Every time I go I get a immeasurable feeling of belonging. One that is hard to even begin to describe. For this I have a strong belief in the Internet because it has the power to bring people around the world together.

The very first time I went there I was nervous. Mostly because I was meeting a significant other that would mold my future into ways even I hadn’t imagined. At what first was supposed to only be a trip of amorous proportions turned into so much more. Before I met Kay, the only connection I had with Kentucky was fried chicken. Through the internet it was becoming more than what I’d ever though it’d be.

It took only a moment of me taking my eyes off of Kay’s beauty, to realize the beauty of the state I was in. We drove down what seemed and endless straight path. To my left and right were endless fields of green grass spread across the earth like a giant blanket of all God’s wonders. As we continued, we drove by farms with corn stalks as far as the eye could see. There were animals grazing in the grass; the horses and cows were amazing. I was absolutely in awe at what I was seeing.

It didn’t stop there. Everyone in the small town of Morganfield was genuinely courteous. To them it was always great to see a new face in town. Not one person treated me as if they just met me. I felt as if I knew them for years. This trip was everything I wanted it to be and much more. Best of all I had Kay by my side.

However, what really topped off my first day was later that evening. Kay and I sat next to each other on a bench that was on her porch and watched the sun go down. The evening air was warm on that November. A gentle breeze seemed to hug us both together. My exact words after I took in a deep breath were, “I could get used to this.” With that the sun dipped into the far off horizon.

We sat out there most of the night just talking. The night sky resembled a backlit canopy with holes punched in it. I knew and believed with all my heart that very first day that Kentucky was where I belonged. Now it’s my future home and I can’t wait. Who knew that so much could come from love? I for one am completely grateful.