Following Christ’s Legacy

Pauline - Swedesboro, New Jersey
Themes: Christianity

I never have to say it out loud, I never have to brag about or shout it out to the mountains, but people seem to know when they meet me that I am a Christian. I was raised in a very devout Christian household, and the church was my second home during my childhood. “Always remember Christ” my mother constantly told me, and she still says so today. The beliefs that I have picked up from the Christian faith and my love for Jesus Christ are forever imbedded in my heart and soul, and they shape me into the person that I am today.

People tend to ask me “Why don’t you drink?” or “Why don’t you curse?”. I do not drink because I just fnd no appeal in it, and I do not curse because I was brought up to be a lady, and ladies should not curse like sailors. These are not strictly Christian, just morals I’ve picked up from my mother. There are many other beliefs that I hold not just because I am a Christian, but that I want to be both a compassionate person and as Christ-like as possible. Jesus was a man who aided others and who loved all. He did not discriminate, and he did his best to share the word about God wherever he went. Following Christ’s legacy, I have volunteered at nursing homes, homeless shelters, Habitat for Humanity, and helped out those with physical and mental disabilities. I feel that not only do these acts bring me closer to God, they also help me to center myself as a person.

I get so much joy out of lending a helping hand, and I know there are people out there who appreciate it. One day, I plan to go overseas and aid those who need it most. I know—and I will openly admit—that I am not the strongest of Christians, like my mother, who wakes up early everyday to read her Bible and pray, but I am trying the best I can to be more like her and more importantly, more like Christ.

Being a Christian was not a forced decision; ultimately, it was my choice. I believe that my faith has given me more insight on the world and has helped me to form into the person I am today. It has given me a focus that many my age lack, and has blessed me with the happiness that comes with helping others and loving them for who they are, no matter who they are.

This I believe.