I am happy to have pain

Marwan - Chandler, Arizona

“Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.”

– Lance Armstrong

I believe that problems are like engines. They drive you to happiness, they push you to smile. I believe that there is no good without bad. There is no such thing as peace without anarchy. I’m sorry to crush some dreams but if you think that the almost 7 billion people on this earth can all get a long, you need to stop stuffing the pipe. You can all me an optimist, but if you really take a look at the world around us today, you will see that there will always be problems. In fact, you don’t really need to look at the world; you can just look at your own family, your own life, yourself. Man is created with problems and will die with problems. Watching the news everyday, hearing about bombings and foreclosures, starvation and disease, hate and racism, destruction and sadness, makes me realize that we would not know joy if it wasn’t for any of them. None of us in this room can say that they have never been sad. But what made being happy, such a good feeling? The best example I can give is the common cold. All of us have had the cold at one time in our lives. Before we got it, did we even notice how awesome it felt to be able to breathe through your nose? Of course not. But once you get that stupid cold, you are really pissed that you can’t and wish that you could. I compare that to the world. Children in Africa die everyday from starvation and thirst, but many of us don’t pass that thought through our mind even once a week. In fact, kids in this country die from starvation and thirst, but again we don’t think about it. Man is selfish. We don’t want anything but for our own lives to be secure and when you come down to it, everyone is responsible for their own life, not anyone else’s. Problems are what make the world go round. If we had no problems we wouldn’t need money, or food, or water, shelter, education, or any of the things that we need today. Life would be dandy. But if we had all of those things someone would complain that my arm is longer than his arm and a war would start. People are so stupid that the smallest argument will erupt into a massive fight and in the end there will be more death and destruction than if they just ignored it in the beginning. But, what fun would that be? In my life, as in yours, we are in over our heads with problems, school, work, family, love, and just life in general. All I am really trying to say is that problems matter. We shouldn’t focus on how we can make the problems go away, but how to make them teach us the lessons of life. Many people ask, “Why am I here?” “Why is there all of this pain and sadness?” My answer is, imagine your life without it and tell me if sugar tastes the same, if love feels the same, if warmth feels the same, if happiness feels the same, would you even know what any of those were? Be grateful that we can feel pain and sadness. My life is a conundrum wrapped in an enigma wrapped in a riddle and I wouldn’t have it any other way, because what fun would it be to put a puzzle together that is already done?