Having A Goal

Leigh - St.Charles, Missouri

I believe in having a goal. Goals have always been apart of my life. However, there was only one goal that I was most passionate about. At first I wasn’t the star at running. I was average, but couldn’t run a 21-minute 5k to save my life. I didn’t want to be average the rest of my high school running career. So, I set a goal. My goal was to run at state. I set that goal my sophomore year of high school. That year I made it through the district race, so I got to go on to the sectional race. The sectional race is the last race of the season. You have to be top 30 in that race to make it to state. Unfortunately, I did not make it to state that year. It was devastating. My heart was in my throat the whole way home. I had done so well in the race before sectional that and I was sure of myself that I was going to make it in the top thirty. Worst of all I did not make my goal. I eventually got over it and realized that I had two more years to make it to state and I would train that much harder the next season.

I did train harder that season. I was sure my junior year that I was going to make it to sate. I was the top runner on my team and ran a lot of 21 minutes that year. I was in good shape and all I had to do was get through the sectional race. However, I didn’t make it that year either. Something was holding me back the whole time I ran that race. I couldn’t make top 30. I wasn’t even close. The lump in my throat got larger on that ride home than the year before. I knew that I only had one more year left and I had a very slim chance of making it to state. I couldn’t let that negativity get to my head though. I trained twice as hard that summer and season than I ever have. I ran every race like it was my last. Finally, when that sectional race arrived I was full of nerves. I could barely sleep the night before and when my alarm clock finally went off I knew I needed to get into the zone. Yet, in the back of my mind I knew there was the possibility of not making it again, but I knew I could also get over it like I did the other two times. This eased me to know that life would go on if I didn’t make it to state. Fortunately, I made it. I ran it in 20 minutes and 40 seconds and placed 25th. It was an amazing feeling. I ran in the state race this year and it was all because I had a goal. (491)