Banana Incident

Junda - Brookline, Massachusetts China

“Mom, can you pass me a banana? I’m starving,” I said. But my mom responded with, “I’m working. And it’s your job to get a banana because you are the one who is trying to eat it, not me.” Then, I went to the kitchen and straight to the refrigerator to look for that tasty banana. But I felt disappointed because it wasn’t there. Where could it be? I took a long time to find it until my mom came over and passed the banana to me and said, “Jonathan, you really need to learn something even more important than studying.” And it made me think, “What was mom talking about? What might be even more meaningful than studying hard and attending a good college?” And later, I got what she meant.

From my perspective, childhood is the most amazing time ever in our lives. I definitely enjoyed that time because I didn’t have to think of anything or worry about anything because my parents had set up everything for me. Besides studying, I could do a lot of fun things like playing video games and sports to make myself happy and relaxed. However, as time passed by, although I enjoyed much happiness, my ability to do things myself dwindled because I could usually get whatever I wanted at any time without taking a single action.

Some parents haven’t noticed that they have pampered their children so much that they nearly have forgotten what their responsibilities are and what they are supposed to do, just like in my life. I know my parents pampered me too much before they finally realized it. They really want me to study hard to get good grades and have a better future. Unfortunately, they have prevented me from being independent. Now, I understand that my mom is trying to tell me to learn to be independent because they are not going to be with me my whole life.

Therefore, I believe that I have to learn how to be independent before it’s too late because it’s an important quality to bring into adulthood. Independence means having the ability to make decisions and live your life freely without any assistance. For example, I don’t even know where the bananas are kept in my house! I basically won’t be able to do anything without learning how to be independent. If I can’t be independent, life is going to be mighty hard for me to go through even if I have the most intelligent brain in the world.

I know that when I am older, I will be responsible for things like paying bills, cooking meals and taking care of children. If I am not independent, how can I do those things? I can’t even take care of myself. So, from now on, I need to start working on developing my independence by doing small things like washing my socks, cleaning up my messy room and attempting things I normally rely on my parents to do like cooking meals and buying stuff myself.

The day after the “banana incident”, when I was studying and felt a little bit hungry, I decided to grab an apple myself, but not ask my mom. However, when I got the apple myself, my mom was right behind me and smiled. It was the sweetest smile I’ve ever seen. At that moment, I knew she knew I understood her point that independence is like the base of any pyramid. If the base is loose, how will anything built upon it be supported?