Dominique - nashville, Tennessee
Themes: family, gratitude

My mom Bobbie McLaurine is the influential person in my life. She isn’t my birth mother but I feel like she loves me and my brothers and sisters even more because we aren’t. We are her grandchildren. There are five of us and we all live with her. This is our story. Our birth mother made some mistakes in her life and decided that she would rather live a life of her own instead of raising my siblings and I. When each one of us was born we were only adored for a little while, because two weeks after I was born I was with my grandmother on my father’s side of the family, because the grandmother on my mother’s side of the family did not want to care for us either. So she became my mother. The only person I know who would take on such a task as raising five children on top of the four daughters that she was trying to raise. I immediately knew that I was loved by her, her children and their enormous family. As I was growing up, I found myself wondering about why a mother would do something like, have children and then give them away. I knew there was no that if I ever had children I would keep them, and love them with all my heart. When me and my siblings were growing up, it was always easy to tell when she was mad and who she was mad at because she has a look- with her eyebrows that lets you know that if you didn’t straighten up in a hurry, she would come help you. When I entered school, I found out how smart I was. I didn’t think it was a big idea, but my teachers did. They wanted me to go to all kinds of different magnet, catholic and private schools. My mom would just tell me “you’re staying right where you are, because what they can teach you there, they teaching you right here.” I wouldn’t get upset or anything when she told me this because it knew it was for the best. I always knew that whatever she told me was something good, no matter what it concerned. I made it through middle with a little problem here and there. I made it to high school and found an entirely different world. There I was, just barely fifteen years old, going to school with people three or four years older than me. It was crazy to me! I thought they sent me to the wrong school. Throughout my high school years I found even bigger problems; boys, puberty, WELLNESS CLASS. It wasn’t difficult at all. I just didn’t know that high came with so many rules. But I made it through the rules and my entire four years. I graduated in May of 2008, with perfect attendance. My mother was so proud, but I was even happier than she was because I knew I made her smile when I walked across the state and was handed the first of many diplomas I would be receiving in my lifetime. I am currently a full time student at a community college. One of my sister’s graduates in May 2009, and the other in May 2010. We tell my mom all the time that it’s only because we know she believed in us, so we can’t let her down. She smiles and says “I know you won’t because it would hurt you to hurt me.”