Education

Rebecca - Houma, Louisiana

I believe in the opportunity for education. After years of hard-work, countless nights of studying, and thousands of dollars spent in text books…I was done, I graduated from college. I felt proud, I felt accomplished, and I was ready to take on the world. I immediately began looking for a job, something new and something exciting. As I browsed through the news paper and spent hours on the internet looking for employment opportunities in my area, I began to notice something, the majority of the jobs I was interested in required some form of graduate degree. So there I was, thinking I was done with school and in need of a job. I then realized how wonderful of an opportunity this was for me, I would get to further my education even more. Back to school it was, more hard-work, more late nights, and more text books. I am now half way through the master’s program at my school and could not be happier. Education is something that I took for granted for entirely too long. As I have aged, matured, and grown as a person I have began to understand the importance of a good education.

I understand that college and graduate school is not an option for everyone. However, I also believe that education does not only happen in a classroom. Education happens in everyday life, all around us. Real life experiences, things we experience second hand, things we are taught by our parents, loved ones, strangers…this is all education.

Knowledge we gain through school and experiences is something that can never be taken away from us. A good education, regardless of where we get it, is the start to a good future. The opportunity for a good education is something we all deserve and it something we should all strive for. Now, after almost twenty years in school and twenty-five years of experiences I am able to appreciate all the opportunities I was given to be educated. My education is my opportunity to a good life, this I believe.