Brianna - Wilmington, North Carolina

Nervousness. That’s all my body could feel at this point. My heart raced; curiosity over took my every thought… What would he be like? What would he look like?

Could I ever love him as much as my other siblings?

These were the questions racing through my mind over and over as I awaited the arrival of my half brother, Brent. I had never seen him. Never met him. Never spoke to him. The only thing I had was his baby picture, taken four years prior to my birth…But now—now I would finally match a name with a face.

Just when I thought it would never happen, my Dad and a tall, high school-looking boy walked in the living room. A smile lit up on my face at once…I was thrilled that he decided to come and meet the family! He looked exactly like a male version of myself. Those blue eyes and that odd colored, golden hair (that only the two of us could have), immediately gave away that fact that we were related. As soon as my family and I got to talking to Brent, I felt a sense of relief…He fit in perfectly, with everything from his sarcastic sense of humor to his similar taste in sports, such as baseball, bowling, and hockey. It was as if he filled in a blank space in our family portrait, (which I consciously notices hanging on the wall now that he was here).

My aunt and grandparents made a huge deal out of him being here as well, taking a million pictures, especially of the “grandkids.”

“Everyone smile and try to look normal!” My aunt jokingly told us as we sat on the couch.

“Cheeessseeee!” My little sister, Brynn, said as the flash went off.

“Brent, I must say, you look exactly like your Daddy, Ricky, did at your age! I swear I wouldn’t be able to tell yall apart,” My grandma said in her sweet little southern accent. “Shoot, I might as well call you Little Ricky!”

At that point I didn’t want the night to end…this new person that entered my life was about to go home and I was a little scared; scared that he would leave and I’d never see him again—scared that everything would go back to normal, and the latest member of my family that I came to love instantly, would just be a mere memory, being played in my head over and over for years to come.

A feeling of relief set in after awhile, because he did come back the next day, and countless holiday there after.

Believing in a family unit is essential to me. I believe when one person is missing, you can tell that there’s “an empty space in the family portrait.” A family supports each other. No one should be left behind…and that included Brent.