Age of Empire

Nick - las vegas, New Mexico

I believe that farm workers should be treated fairly. I remember a few years back. I would play a computer game called Age of Empire that had hunters or gatherers. At first I would gather berries, hunt animals and fish. Then I had other workers gather resources so that I could build and support a military force by training my workers into, club men, archers, spear men, horse man or chariots and other military units. I could also construct buildings such as houses, granary’s and a town center. I developed technology like the wheel or metallurgy to keep my empire up to date. Finally I developed the technology of farming. After this point I could get food without having to hunt, fish or gather.

In this game I spent food resources for new farm workers. I had to build houses to support a bigger population. I had to have enough food and water to feed them and have soldiers protect them from enemy empire soldiers. If I did not take care of my farmers my empire would not have enough resources. Then I would not build a military or develop in technology nor construct any more buildings and my empire would only wait to be destroyed by the enemy empire. And that is when I realized the importance of farm workers.

But in real life that does not seem to be the case. I have heard about mistreated workers not getting a fair wage and denied basic necessities. I know that people that are mistreated are fairly common and I know that in this country there is the issue with illegal immigrants trying to cross the border. Many of these workers are looking to work on farms. But I did not know the details about this issue of mistreated farm workers. Specifically, where is this happening? Where do they live? What wages do they get? Have thousands died crossing the border? So now I wonder what is it like to be poorly paid worker, not being able to feed their families? No clean water to drink. I now wonder if I have feasted on something that has suffered by having been picked by a beaten child with no hope of an education or that it was plowed by one so poor that when they’re sick they have no other choice but to work.

So I say with my soul that I believe we need to take responsibility for our actions now. We should support industries that give their workers a fair wage, an education, health care and other things. And companies that buy from neglected workers , should be held accountable. Also we need to talk to the leaders and politicians of our nations to be more aware of this issue. Maybe the world can’t be exactly like the Age of Empire game but it would be a little nice if the world would take care of their workers like the game I have played. I now must say that we should not have to feast on the suffering of others. Instead, feast knowing that the ones growing the food will have as much say as the one eating the food and this is what I believe.