My Farmers Market

Zach - las vegas, New Mexico

I believe in the farmers market, because it is a place that my family goes

and sells bread.

We sell bread to help us with every thing. The bread buys us clothes when we sell them. It gets us all that we need during the summer. It gets our food and water. We started last summer, when my mom got a great idea to sell her fabulous breads at the farmers market. The bread is like a wonderful buttery goodness that melts in your mouth.

We started to steal people’s hearts over the summer, because every Wednesday and Saturday they were having fresh whole wheat bread that was made in the early morning. I believe in this because I think that it is great that farmers and people get their full profit for what they have baked, grown and worked hard to make. The market was like being at a whole foods store except everything was fresh. My mom’s bread was warm. It was made in the early morning ready to eat right away.

The market sounds were loud with happiness. People were saying the vegetables were sweeter and better than in the store. I looked forward to see the old man who sells apples, Jenn who sells lettuce and salad greens or the man that I trade a five-dollar loaf of bread for his potatoes.

When I go to the farmers market this summer. I will remember the migrant farm worker who get very little money, gets little respect. They grow much of the food for the United States.

I think the farmer market is a great way to show that we need to give more farmers a living wage. We should give the migrant farmer a living wage after all. What are so different then the people at the farmers market and the people in the factory farms? I believe that they should be the same because they could take also care of themselves. I think that the people that grow the food resources should get a living wage. While we eat happily we have a home that we can afford all of our meals and bills while most of them have nothing but fire wood heating because they’re too poor to get all the other appliances. While we live in a luxury life they live a life that doesn’t pay their bills, gives them barely enough money to eat. I think that the farmers market is good because it gives the farmers a chance to have enough money to have dinner every night and pay some bills.

We should start paying the people who grow our food a living wage like we do at the farmers market. They could have a life that feeds their family and pays their bills and gets them through the year without getting cold or thirsty. I don’t see why migrant workers can’t have a farmers market and sell directly to the costumer. I believe in the farmers market.