Briana - las vegas, New Mexico

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be something other than yourself? An animal, for example. Do you know how they feel when you beat them, or when you care for them? I can guarantee that they like for you to care for them, but what do think they feel like when you beat them?

I believe in the fair treatment of animals. Everywhere in the world, animals are being treated poorly. Whether it is animals being ignored, treated inhumanely before being slaughtered in factory farms, or while being slaughtered. It does not matter what is being done to them, specifically. Treating animals badly is wrong.

Personally, I am a vegetarian. I made that decision because my sister and I saw how animals are being treated in high production factory farms. What happens to them before being slaughtered and while being there they are slaughtered. We first found out about it when my sister found a website called People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. I saw how the cows, chickens, and pigs were being treated in a video. Even though I did not see it in real life, it was amazing how they were being treated, amazingly bad. It was horrible. Just seeing those images was gruesome. Watching them getting tortured, being cramped in really small spaces was extremely disturbing. The chickens were kept with the corpses of other chickens who have died, before been taken to the slaughterhouses. I could not imagine sharing my space with a corpse.

Animals are not able to voice their feelings; we humans have the privilege to be able to say what we think. It is our duty to voice our concerns, protect them, and respect their environment.

Imagine a world where animals live a good life. Where they are able to do whatever they want to do. For example, bison are able to live in their own environment. They are able to run around. When they are going to get killed, it is much more humane. People capture them, take them to slaughterhouses and kill them, but it is really quick and not as brutal. Also imagine a world where industrial farms are empty, but family farms are full of healthy animals that are treated justly. In family farms, animals are cared for and loved.

I believe in the fair treatment of animals. There is no reason to treat an animal badly. It takes a small person to beat or kill a defenseless animal; it takes a bigger person to change that.