Everywhere I Turn

Melissa - Lenexa, Kansas

For Every Bad, There is a Good

When I come to think about what I strongly believe in, many things come to mind. Some for example would be I’m strongly against abortion and I don’t believe that capital punishment is right. Soon, I came to realize that these are only parts of one main idea that I firmly believe. This being that God is in every human being. There was once a time where I remember thinking that someone deserved to die and that there could be a good reason for killing an innocent child. This was before my eye opening eighth grade year at Holy Cross School. I was lucky enough to have a religion teacher who was able to answer almost any and every question I had about my faith. During that year, I was challenged to dig deeper into my faiths. I started thinking through many specific topics and trying to reason though little details of certain subjects. I finally realized that I wouldn’t come to a conclusion if I never went to check out organizations for myself. Soon later, I found myself volunteering at the Wyandotte Pregnancy Center. While there, I saw a rather young couple collecting supplies and toys for their future child. This seemed to reach a part of me that I never would have gone to myself. I thought to myself for many minutes, and then it hit me. God was in that family. He wasn’t just in the mother or the child, but in the father too. He was there to support her even though he could by all means run away. This made me think about all the other tough situations in the world. It seemed to me that every day after my volunteer job I was seeing God in everything and everyone around me. Every where I turned, someone was doing a good deed, even as simple as smiling at someone in the hallway. After realizing that little and most the time overlooked idea, I saw the world as a better place. One day though, I was challenged. On the television, I listened and watched as a man charged with murder smirked while saying he wasn’t sorry for anything he did. This was hard for me to cope with. I had just begun to see the world as a different place and there was a man who had no remorse after committing a cruel murder. I was surprised to learn that this only strengthened my belief. For some reason in my heart, I had the urge to pray for him. In my mind, this man was a gift from God because he gave me a reason to pray. This man couldn’t be all bad when he was the reason I was praying at that very second. After that brief moment I could honestly say that I truly believe that God lives in every person no matter how bad they seem.