My Family Farm

Jaibo - las vegas, New Mexico

My whole life I had never known what is put into my food, what makes my food, what dies to feed me. I did not know until a few months ago when our school started teaching us how pigs are razed and killed on factory farms and plants are grown using pesticides and how farm workers are often poorly treated.

I believe in family farming. My family has a farm and everything on my farm seems so much better than factory farming. For example I have always hated beets and one time when I was picking beets from my garden I tried one and liked it.

Studying these topics showed me how good my farm is to my animals. For example, we have a donkey and to train him we take time and use treats instead of whipping or hitting. And it showed me how environmentally friendly it is by using compost that is natural and better for the plants and animals instead of using pesticides on the plants. It made me see how good of a life I

live and how lucky I am to be able to have good food and see happy animals on my farm.

It makes me feel so much better when I have to get up on a cold morning and get eggs even if I don’t like it. It is nice to be able to smell the sweetness of the corn, the bitterness of the parsley and the strong smell of onions instead of the smell of pesticides polluting the water and killing the animals. It’s nice to see happy chicks chirping and running free with their mother and not poring over the edge of a conveyer belt by the hundreds that I saw on an adbuster commercial.

In factory farming they do horrible things to the chickens like cutting their beaks off and putting them in small areas where they can’t stretch their wings. While on my farm every day I see happy chickens with a big chicken house that we made to make them happy and not just a cage that we throw them in. They also have a yard to run free in and be happy.

In factory farms they spray pesticides on the plants that are picked by migrant workers that live in horrible living conditions and are paid minimum wage. While on my farm we do the hard work of tilling, planting and much more. We may not have a big enough garden to sell yet we do get good food to feed our family.

A month ago when my class took a trip to Mexico we met someone who had lost their family farm because the coffee price lowered. That was when I realized how lucky my family is to have a family farm in the United States.

I think that family farms are more natural, help the environment, and are not cruel to the animals. That is why I believe in family farming.