Made With Love or Made With Hate?

Teslin - las vegas, New Mexico

I Believe

In eating meat that has been raised with love, not hate. I want the meat I consume to have been raised without hormones, without antibiotics. Animals who are raised for food should have a happy life, without pain, without fear. They should be treated as equals; they should be treated fairly.

It all started when I was 11. I was in school and my class was studying the difference between Factory Farming and Family Farming. We were watching an animated film about Factory Farming and I was amazed by what I saw. Baby pigs were whimpering for their mothers in cages that they could not get out of, in cages that were trapping them in suffocating spaces they could not escape. I watched as baby cows drank milk that had cow blood in it, possibly even their parents. I saw someone grab a hen, put its beak up to a hot wire, and when they put the hen back down it had no beak.

I could never have imagined that people were doing this to animals. I could not take in what I had seen. I could not believe it; would not believe it. It was just too cruel, to unreal. Then I realized that I had been supporting this; I had been eating meat that was not organic, meat that was brought in from Factory Farms. I realized that there was more to the meat that I consumed than happy animals. There was cruelty. I had never thought of the fact that animals that are slaughtered for meat have to endure days of suffering in tiny cages. Since I saw this, I have changed my mind about eating meat from big companies, because their meat was most likely raised in a Factory Farm. I have been eating organic meat since that day when I realized what exactly was behind the food I ate.

I imagine myself sitting around the table with my family, having the luscious taste of organic meat that in life was healthy, loved, and cared for with loving hands, sinking into my mouth. I want to eat meat that has been gently coaxed into the pen where they were going to get killed and killed instantly before they could get scared.

These are things that many people, including myself, want to have in the meat that we consume. Many places do love their animals; they do take good care of them. Many people make sure their animals have been killed instantly, and without fear. The places that do this can be supported, and if people only buy and consume organic meat, animals can be treated better! If people don’t buy meat that is not organic, meat that was raised in Factory Farms, then the world has every chance of getting rid of Factory Farming, and if everyone helps, everything is possible.

This I believe.