Fragile Bones

Alex - USA

Have you ever felt that society does not see you as beautiful? Do you ever want to look like someone else? Today, I am eighteen years old and I am happy with my body. Yes, at times I look in the mirror and wonder if eating that extra cookie at lunch was such a good idea. Sometimes, I look at my friends and wonder what it would be like to have their body for one day. However, those are all just thoughts. I am happy. Unfortunately, one of my friends will never be happy with her body.

Her name is Sarah. We had become friends in elementary school. She was always the girl who made everyone laugh. As we grew up we began going out to parties on the weekends. We would spend hours fixing our hair, putting on our mom’s makeup, and trying on our newest outfit. As the weekends passed I noticed that Sarah was constantly complaining about how she looked fat in her new Hollister shirts. The word “fat” had never crossed my mind. I thought that parent’s were the only ones that ever complained about gaining weight.

When we first arrived at high school we both went to different schools, but we still saw each other regularly. However, what I saw of Sarah was her body shrinking. She was constantly either complaining about her weight, or would spend hours telling me about her newest weight loss pills. After her crazy talks of losing weight finally got too overwhelming to listen to I finally confronted her about the problem. I told her that I thought she was becoming obsessed with her weight and this was a problem. This built a wall between our friendship and she slowly shut me out. She told that I never wanted what was best for her because I was jealous.

Sadly after two years of separation, I am continually asking myself: Sarah where are you? Where is that amazing girl I used to know and love? She slowly distanced herself from everyone. Finally, her father took a stand. He said after all of this time he watched her body, her mind, and her self dwindle. He thought it was a phase. Sadly, he was mistaken.

Right now Sarah is in her second year of professional help for anorexia and bulimia. Even though she has nothing to do with me I want her to always know that no matter what she will always be my best friend. I believe in true friendship because without Sarah I would not be the person I am today. I hope that even though our friendship is not where it used to be, she will always be able to come and ask me for anything. I am a true friend and I know that without true friendships in your life you can not grow as a person. Sarah, I love you and I will always be there for you.