Adan Rodriguez

Alexis - Las Cruces, New Mexico
Themes: death, family, love

I believe in my grandpa. He took care of me for eight years. Sadly, he died in 2004.

I believe in my grandpa because he took care of me when my dad started a new family in Chicago while I lived in El Paso. I spent most of my childhood with my grandpa because my mom had to work to pay the bills and rent for our apartment. She got off of work at three o’clock in the morning. Her boss wouldn’t let her off work earlier because she was a manager at Domino’s Pizza. She would pick me up from my grandma and grandpa’s house later in the mornings. My grandpa would always wake me up in the mornings and say, “Wake up, Chicken.”

My grandma would always say, “Leave her alone, Adan.” (Adan was my grandpa’s name.)

Then my grandpa became ill. But my family and I are relieved that he died. We believe that is was for the best, though. He died because one of his organs was not working correctly. The doctors found what was wrong with him and they said that it was already too late to fix that organ. When I went to see him in the hospital, my mom had to sneak me in. I was in second grade when I went to visit my grandpa in the hospital. I told him about my new school that I was attending and that he was going to be okay, and that I would be right there with him. That was the last time I saw my grandpa. A couple days after that, my mom took me to my school and told me that my grandpa passed away. I just started to cry. I cried and cried all day. The principal tried to cheer me up but nothing would work. So I went to talk to my teachers and they all said the same exact thing, “Don’t be sad because even though you can’t see your grandpa, he is still in your heart.” So after that day I thought, “Well, he is in a better place now, and I shouldn’t cry. Till this day when me and my grandma see pictures of him, or even if we don’t, we still start to cry. It is okay for us to cry because we love him. My family and I all know that he is in a better place now and all his pain has gone away, but he is still in our hearts.

I believe in my grandpa who took care me for eight years. Sadly, he died in

This story is in honor of

By Alexis Rodriguez