Danger in Today’s Society?

Landon - Ashland City, Tennessee

I believe in the reformation and in the benefits of new marijuana laws.

Since 1937 marijuana has been illegal due to Harry Anslinnger who introduced the Marijuana Tax Act, due to the violent affects on the “degenarate races”. With such films as “Reefer Madness” to support Harry’s views on the matter of marijuana being a dangerous drug the American people at the time believed what they heard and saw on televison and voted for the act to pass. Since the late 1930’s society has grown and seen what the drug is truly about. It does not make anyone jump out of third story windows, cause an uncontrollable need to find a rape victim, or dance all night to the point of dehydration. So why is it that a racist politician, that passed a law close to a century ago, can still have an effect on the world today?

If there is one thing that is sure it is that we know now that marijuana does not cause anyone to go crazy or become violent. So let’s look at the approach of what marijuana does do. In the medical field it helps patients with glacoma, arthirites, helps cancer patients, people with sleeping disorders, people who have problems eating, and if your overly tense it may help you relax without having to take a prescribed barbituate; who by the way kills hundreds of people a year. As for marijuana, to this day for the hundreds of years that the plant has been around there have been zero deaths caused by the drug. Whereas drugs such as caffiene, asprin, tobacco, alcohol, and other over the counter drugs kills thousands of people each and every year. So why is it that a drug that has never killed anyone still illegal? Its not because the government wouldn’t make sufficent money on the drug because there are dozens of ways to boost the economy and eliminate crime by the legalization of the plant. Simply charge an absurd amount of money for a pack of marijuana cigarrettes and people will buy it because either way it would have to be cheaper than the black market value of the drug. We could use the hemp to replace many trees that are being cut down, and use the material to replace many commodities such as paper and clothing. New textiles mean new jobes as well, and for todays economy that’s not a bad thing to come by because of the thousands of jobs the plant would create in the medical and science fields but the cropping and processing of the plant as well.

I believe that the drugs remains illegal in many parts of the country simply because of the politicians that are alive and well today do see the benefits of the legalization of the drug, but as well see the scarcity of being the one to throw their hand in the air and voice their opinion about saving the environment and the economy. It could be that the drug remains illegal because these politicians can’s see the benefits of the plant and are stuck in a Anslinger haze. Trying to say that legalization would create more crime and less productivity is obsurd and foolish. This is not a world full of hippies and drug addicts that want to sit around and get wasted. We are inerprenuers trying to find the best means to live in a healthy and sound environment just as the politicians today want. Only today’s generation wants to take a look at every angle of helping our youth survive through these harsh times then I say I believe in the legalization of marijuana and so should anyone who truly cares about their environment and their childrens children.