I believe in music

Evan - NY, New York

When I was younger I did not have an appreciation for music. I do now. I can remember one day I sat on my bed and cracked open a “The Simpsons” comic book and put on my head phones. As I sat there I hoped that my sister or parents would walk in and see that I was doing what I thought was a very mature and teenage thing to do. I sat for about 5 minutes and got bored. I was listening to the late, great band known as The Clash, but at the time I didn’t feel a thing.

Today I write music and poetry for lyrics most nights and play my guitar before heading to sleep, but there was a time when music meant nothing to me. Then I heard the Beatles and something changed. John’s steady rhythm, Paul’s melodic bass, George’s perfectly controlled solos and Ringo’s unique sound made an impression on me that has lead me to many things, some that are almost unconnected to their music. But what really influenced me was their song writing. In their songs emotions and stories mixed and worked in true harmony with the music. The Beatles music evolved over time. They were always trying something new, always pushing the limits.

What you do at first for pure enjoyment can change as your life does. Writing music has been a wonderful way to express everything I experience. Music is a friend that will make you smile, keep you focused, even make you cry. For writers out there, they all know that simply watching a movie or a date with a girl can stir up lines or thoughts that develop into art. For example, the other night, I was watching the movie Catch 22 and I muttered the line “understanding doesn’t make sense to me.” I picked up my guitar and now there is a song in process just because of a single thought that came as I watched a movie.

My life has been changing recently. It’s not just the big things, like births or deaths, but just little things here and there that have made me the person I am today. But sometimes I fall into a routine, that makes me kind of a zombie — get up, put on my monkey suit for school, sweat all day then come home and work some more. Music — whether it’s writing, playing, listening, humming or drumming with the silverware at dinner — can put color in a bleak routine.

I believe in music because it has been one of the most positive and powerful aspects of my life and continues to be so. Nothing is permanent on this Earth, but music has no limits. It is abundant. It is rechargeable, reusable, renewable. It is easily produced as it is consumed. Give a kid a stick and he is a drummer; write poetry and be a lyricist; listen carefully and find the music around you.