My Holidays

Victoria - Las Cruces, New Mexico

The Fourth of July. Every year my grandparents in Las Cruces, New Mexico, have a huge block party. Everyone on our street gets together and celebrates the Fourth of July. I even invite some of my friends and we go to the middle of the street and light fireworks. From all around, you can see the fireworks sparkling and twinkling in the dark night sky over our street. All of the kids who go to the party can use our pool in the back. We swim until it is dark enough to light the fireworks. Every time I see a fireworks’ stand, I think of the block party and remember how much fun it is to see the glowing fireworks mixing with the dim light of the stars and porch lights. Everyone brings something to the party, like a potluck. They bring hot dogs, hamburgers, or something to drink.

On Christmas Eve, everyone in my family gets together at our house and we host a party. Then they all stay the night and open presents in the morning. I like being able to see the expressions on everyone’s faces, even the grownups, when they find out that Santa got them exactly what they wanted! The rest of the day we go outside and play in the soft white snow, if there is any. In the afternoon, we sit around the fireplace, roast marshmallows, and watch our favorite shows on TV or talk.

On spring break, sometimes I go to my aunt’s house in California and help with my little cousins, Mia and Bell. Once, I went to my uncle’s house and stayed with him. We went to Jelly Belly, a jelly bean factory, the amusement park, and the movies with my cousin Brianna. We had fun going on fast rides and eating jelly beans until we almost threw up.

For Easter, all of our family visits someone’s house and we also throw a party. Some of the kids paint Easter eggs in a crazy style for them to find in the backyard. All of the little kids go egg hunting and we all have a cookout. Last year when we had a party, it was at my Aunt Rose’s house. She has a pool table in her garage and every time we go over there, we play pool with each other and eat pretzels.

I believe in holidays. I like the holidays because we get time off of school and work to be able to spend time with all of the family members and talk about what was going on. Holidays aren’t just about presents. Holidays are a great opportunity to spend time with your family and friends to get to know each other.