I believe in Dharma Master Cheng Yen

Hsin Yi - Taipei, Taiwan

I believe in what Dharma Master Cheng Yen said, “speaking good words, doing good deeds, and having good thoughts will not only change our fate but also benefit our society.” Her saying truly saved my life. On July 19, 2005, I was kidnapped by a middle-aged male when I was about to leave from a street parking spot after visiting a good friend for organizing my wedding in seven days. The guy held a sharp knife against my neck and forced me to move over to the front passenger’s seat with my eyes closed and kneeling down to the floor in front of it. At first I thought he probably just wanted to take some valuables and run away so I was not in panic. However, the thing went beyond my expectation and control. Shockingly, he turned on the engine and drove my car away from the street parking spot. Suddenly, my brain stopped working and went blank. I was scared to death when I thought about what might happen next to me, rape or death. At the very moment I remembered her syaing so I tried to make myself contained to conceal my fear and started to pray. I made a vow to Buddha that if I could go home safe and sound, I would devote the rest of my life to those suffering and in need. In about an hour, the guy stopped driving and parked the car in somewhere I didn’t know. He searched everything I had in my wallet, handbag and the car. I told the guy that I was about to get marry in seven days and welcomed him wholeheartedly to attend my wedding banquet. I showed my empathy for him being in such a big financial trouble that he ran risk of committing a crime because of kidnapping me. I wished him and all his family members all the best to get through the difficulties that he was confronting at that time. The guy suddenly stopped searching and contemplated for a while. Surprisingly, he retrieved the knife and thanked me for my best wishes to him. In return, he wished me all the best to my wedding ceremony and marriage. Then, I cried loudly to release all emotions that I had been suppressed during three hours. He calmed me down by saying “I am sorry” and drove me back to the hospital where my mom had been volunteering in.

In four years when I look back upon what happened on that day, I appreciate what Dharma Master Chen Yen has been teaching us to live by in a way that benefits well-being of people and the world. That’s why I decided to change the field of practice from finance to social work afterwards and devote my life to help underprivileged population.