Smile all the while

Kristi - Boise, Idaho

Did you know it actually takes more muscles to frown than to smile? I have a very strong belief that if everyone took a little more time in life to smile, the world would be a better place. How many times do you walk into a store with a happy smile just to walk out frowning? That is why I believe in the power of a smile.

I am a full time student in a college setting and there are so many people in the hall walking around with blank faces. It is very common as a college student to get so busy that we end up forgetting about the power of a smile. I strongly believe that a smile can make not only your day better but everyone around you. Smiling is very contagious if we just pass it on.

I remember one particular time when smiling changed my whole day. I remember one time in particular that I felt like I had an overload of things to accomplish. As I was walking across campus with that blank look on my face just trying to make it through the day I was caught off guard. Another student walking by me looked up at me with the biggest smile. She may be the type of person that smile all the time or just was particularly happy that day. Either way it caught me off guard, I had to stop and think for a moment. I never thought that a smile could change a day in such a positive way.

After that day I realized that a simple five second task such as smiling could change a whole day. The song we all loved and sang as children about being happy and smiling all the while really meant something. That little smile that was passed onto me that day changed my whole day around and turned my frown upside down. Smiling is a very contagious disease and one we should all try to catch.