A Daffodil Moment

nancy - oakland, California
Themes: nature

The spring day that stole us away from our classes during the last days of school had to have been a special one. And, it was. Heavy, heat laden air turned around slowly by light breezes propelled us to our destination—even when we did not know we had one. All we knew was that we were not going to class at our boarding school that May afternoon. Instead, we embarked on a journey with no map or plan. Two or three boys, popular ones, and a couple of girls, me being one of them. On any other day, we would have been in class all attentive and dutiful.

A half hour into our sojourn over the hill, we fell upon fields of daffodils left unpicked and we rolled in them laughing. My boy gave me a bouquet. All of a sudden below us was a huge cream colored mansion. Abandoned with one upstairs window broken, it looked so beautiful but so lonely. We slowly entered, looking over everything that was still left inside. I found a box of broken colored glass pieces which turned out to be from one of the stained glass windows.I was so happy with my new treasure, I gathered it up into my skirt to take back to the dorm. The five of us got thirsty for a cold coke and decided to return to school in time for dinner, bringing with us as many flowers as we could carry. Our adventure was over and the light was turning toward evening.

Later I sorted the stained glass pieces and put the daffodil bouquet in my bedroom window. A little inquiry and we uncovered the fact that the mansion had been a home for unwed girls, full of sad stories of girls our same age. Once girls with babies lived at the mansion and now it was being overtaken by daffodils.

Our adventure had been perfect; just enough daredevilness and beauty blended with the safety net of our school waiting for us to return and our friends who went with us.We all believed in the power of a beautiful spring day over 5 teenagers! And, we let it happen to us– joyously.