Changing the Mood

Megan - Weldon Spring, Missouri

I believe that you make your own mood, when this is done you are a happier person, show your true self, and make the people around you happier. I used to worry a lot about stupid things. I would get all worked up and mope around and act sad about things that did not really matter. I would also be very shy, because I was afraid to show my real self. Now that I am in my senior year of high school, I see now that I can crate my own mood and in doing so I make the people around me happy and can show my true self.

In my final year of high school I have made more friends than any other year. I contribute this to many things, but I believe the biggest reason is the fact that I am always happy. I find myself to be in a happy go lucky mode, joking with others and having a good time at school. Furthermore, I find that I can not ever be sad for more than five minutes. However there are times that I feel really stressed out and depressed, but for some reason it does not last long. I can still put a big smile on my face. For example, in Calculus class I was not feeling well so I tried not to smile or talk, but I saw how much fun everyone else was having talking, so I joined in and had fun. Therefore I found myself still having fun even though I felt bad. Also, I found that one of my favorite things to do is to laugh and to make others laugh. It makes me feel so good when I have cheered someone up or just put a big smile on someone’s face. This year I have built my self-esteem so much by surrounding myself with good positive people telling me that I am a good person. I have people tell me, “Meg I love you.” or people making the statement, “Everybody loves Meg.” This puts me in an excellent mood, and since I am happier I make the people around me happy. Furthermore, because I realize that people like me I can be myself. This year I have had people tell me that I am nice to everyone, and this makes me feel really good because I want to be looked at as a positive person. One day I was just having a really horrible day and my friend Melissa said, “I never realized until now how much of a positive person you are. Even though you are having a bad day, you are still friendly to everyone and not crabby.” This made me feel wonderful and even I was having a bad day I was still in a good mood. These things lead me to believe that you make your own mood and therefore are a happier person and make the people around you happier. (493)