Finding Love and Keeping It

Brigitte - Albuquerque, New Mexico
Themes: love

I believe that people have to find love and you have to work to keep it. Love is something special that should not be taken for granted. Love is like a plant; in order for it to grow and stay alive, you must care and nurture it. If you neglect it, it will die.

When I was 15 years old, the summer before my sophomore year, I found love.

I was at my cousins birthday party when my phone rang it was my older sister. She told me that my brother-in-law’s cousin liked me. I was kind of surprised to hear this because I did not really know him and I did not really remember ever meeting him. So that next weekend when I was at my sister’s house, she kept telling me I should call him, so I finally decided I was going to. Before I called, I was so nervous. I just kept thinking what I was going to say to him, I didn’t even know him. I picked up the phone, dialed his number, and it started to ring. With each ring I was thinking what am I doing, I need to hang up right now. Then he answered, “Hello.” I said “Hey what are you doing?” He replied, “I am working out. Who is this?” I said its Roxann’s sister, you know your cousins wife?” He said “Oh ya, what’s up?” I said “Not much, but I was just wondering if you wanted to give me a ride in your car?” (He had a really nice Mustang GT) He said “Ya I can, do I pick you up at your sisters?” I said “Ya, I’ll see you in a bit.” About ten minutes later, he was ringing the door bell. My sister answered the door, and as it opened I saw him. He was tall, had dark hair and really attractive eyes. A couple weeks after we met we went on our first date to see the movie The Wedding Crashers. This was my first date so I was kind of nervous. After the movie, as we walked back to his car, we shared our first kiss. Our first kiss felt like a fairy tale; it was like time stood still.

That first date was four years ago and we have been together ever since. Over the four years our relationship has grown stronger, as has our love for one another. Like all relationships, it took a lot of hard work. Love is not always easy– love can be very painful too, and our relationship has had its good times and its bad times. The one way that I know that our love is true is because of the hard times. If our love was not true and strong then it would have ended a long time ago because real true love can fight through any pain. To find love I believe that you must look for it; it’s not going to come and smack you in the face. If I had never called him that night, I would have never found love. When I think back to that phone call, I realize that it was the most important one I have ever made. True love for someone lies deep in heart and the only way to find it is to work hard and care for the relationship that you are in. I believe that love is the best thing that could happen to a person, and that everyone should strive to find love and work at keeping it.