I believe in making a difference

crystal - oroville, California

My aunt, the most outspoken and straight forward women that I know. She’s short, 4 foot 11 inches, her hair is black and frizzy; her style does not change. For many years I’ve watched her struggle, the inability to speak English and hear properly. I believe that there is still a chance for women like her. Though it is difficult for her to get by, I know her as a women with strength and heart. When I lend my aunt a hand or translate for her, she is able to pay for her groceries in the correct change; and some days with a simple drive, she doesn’t have to worry about catching the bus. When I look at my aunt, I see tears that do not fall, eyes that only cry in the middle of the night when no one is watching and all is dark. Her look is sad, and nothing can suppress the heart aches and pain she endures. The man who once loved her, by the title husband, has turned against her; the daughter she loves dearly is no longer by her side, but eloped with a man who is unknown. The son, a college drop out who can not drive nor work for his own sake. What more can a women who has nothing for herself give to the family who wants nothing of her. My aunt came to visit our family; that night I begged her for a makeover; she smiled and obliged. During the application I could imagine who she once was, the lines on her face decreased with her cheeks blushed; a blissful moment crossed my eyes, and the reflection that I saw, was a snapshot of her 20 years ago. A small part inside of me smiled, although the moment seemed depressing. If a woman could tell her life story with the expressions on her face, I will say, they do not lie. Seeing her with glee, I was empowered by the gift I shared with her; a gift that enlightened me, the power we can give to another women. Friendship and beauty. The difference that I made that night was to show her that she is beautiful, giving her self confidence and focusing on her best features, rather than the adversities that she has. For women like her, this letter is for you, you who struggle through life, you who feel empty, you who have forsaken love, you who is young and you who is old. We all can make a difference, and I will make that possible starting with me. Maybe the next time at the grocery store, bag the next persons veggies, or carry their belongings to the car. Take your children and hug them a little more, say “hello” to the neighbors across the street. Change is what we all need, and just as my aunt who never wears makeup, its never to late to enjoy doing something new. I believe in making a difference.