Let Me Do It Today

Ruiou - Brookline, Massachusetts

“Do you want to relax first and then get busy, or get busy first and then relax after finishing all your work?” My mom once asked me this question when I felt lazy and wanted to give up on the idea of finishing working before its due date. Of course I chose to be busy first and then relax, just like rewarding myself with a treat after achieving great progress. It’s pretty easy to say so, but quite hard to follow. However, this leads my ways of working.

I didn’t really understand the importance of doing things as early as you can until I started middle school. In the beginning of a year, our physics teacher asked us to do extra practice exercises every day but she decided not to check them until the midyear. The first night, I didn’t have a lot of homework to do, so after I finished all my homework, I hesitated for a long time and finally decided not to do the extra homework but leave it for the next day, thinking that there were still three months to go. But as time flew, we began to have more and more homework to study for the midyear. While other students were using extra time to study for the exams, I had to catch up on my extra homework and do the ones that I had missed before. I became very busy every night, not only doing “old” homework, but studying for exams. I regretted how lazy I was.

It’s not just a way of planning to do homework, but also a kind of lifestyle that I’m pursuing and still following in my personal life. Just a few months ago, my family decided to go to Maryland to take part in a party. Since we still had about a month, my parents were just busy working as usual and forgot to book plane tickets to Maryland. After a week, I was so excited that I couldn’t wait to go there but what I learned was that my parents hadn’t booked tickets yet. I was not a “slow” person, so that night, I kept hustling my parents to book tickets from the internet until they did it finally. To my surprise, the price of plane tickets rose at the end of that month because of coming Christmas holidays. I helped my family save money. Through this, I confirmed my belief that trying to be a “proactive” person.

So this is what I believe: I believe that I shouldn’t leave things for the next day but do them as early as I can. Because every day gives us new tasks, we should welcome them without having to deal with yesterday’s. Also, tomorrow is not an excuse to avoid doing something that I don’t want to; tomorrow is a separate new day that comes after you close the door of today. So don’t stop me; let me finish it today.