Having Faith on our classmates

Daniel - South Gate, California

Having Faith on our Classmates

I believe that in South Gate High School, the dropout rate of 9th graders is not 48%. When I came into this peer mentoring program, I was told that my goal was to successfully guide two 9th graders through 9th grade. From here I knew that I had to be a leader for them. I was placed in this homeroom with this activity because I was a good student in my academy. My teacher, Ms. Rex, assign me two ninth graders that I needed to talk to and get to know as the school year went by.

During the year we had several activities that our academy hosted. Some of these activities included Movie night, Float, Parent Night, and Potluck. I contributed to these activities in several ways. In the movie night I was the one checking for the tickets when the people would come in, for our academy I helped them make a float for homecoming. On parent night I didn’t really do much except offer drinks and snacks to the parents that were coming by. But on our potluck that we had, I did bring orange juice and I bought some mcmuffins from McDonald’s for my mentorees.

While working with these ninth graders I learned that I needed to be an example to them and to let them know that coming to school and getting good grades is very important. I also talked to them that there is certain aspects that they have to belief in and that is dedication, teamwork, and discipline. They learned and took my advise so I feel proud that I was able to help out at least two kids, even though I knew all along that they could do it anyway.