Racial Discrimination is bigger than we think.

Mark - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

At some point in our lives, every one of us has been subject to stereotype or false judgment. We have all encountered situations where we feel we are being treated unfairly, or perhaps we are the ones treating others unfairly. Most of the time, the situation is resolved in some shape or form and we move on. What about when a certain stereotype or false judgment is hurtful to you or someone else? What do you do when these false judgments are a continuous happening and no one does anything to solve it? False stereotypes such as racial profiling and discrimination are an ongoing problem in today’s society. Countless accounts of racial profiling occur every day in every part of the world and it seems no one is taking the necessary measures to eliminate these situations from happening.

Personally, I have been in many situations with the law where racial profiling was very apparent. For instance, during high school my brother (who is African American) and I were inseparable. One evening after a school function we were driving home when red and blue lights lit up our rear view mirror. I was driving; my brother sat in the passenger seat. The officer walked up to my window and asked for my license. Sounds pretty routine, right? It was, until the officer shined his flashlight on my brother. He immediately unbuckled his gun holster and radioed for backup. I thought to myself, “Great, here we go.” It didn’t surprise me a bit that when backup arrived, the officers handcuffed my brother and put him in the back of a squad car for questioning. I, however, was free to stand and pace back and forth as I pleased while the officers searched our car. After 30 minutes of questioning, my brother was released and told why he was so unfairly interrogated. One of the officers walked over to us and explained, “I pulled you over because you’re tag light is out, but when I noticed this fella (my brother) with his hair all twisted up and his pants hangin’ off his ass, I had reason to suspect gang activity.” We were issued a ticket and nothing more, nothing more than the expected harassment and false judgment of two young males driving home at night, one of whom happened to be black.

In conclusion, racial profiling is controversial in many ways. Sometimes it is necessary in certain areas, but it is often abused and used as an excuse. To some, beliefs and stubbornness overpower humanity and equality, but others see it as a degrading tool to gain superiority and power. Either way it is more and more effecting people in a negative manner and must be examined. I hope this will raise awareness in each of you and cause you to ask yourself, “Where do I stand on this subject?” I encourage all of you to educate yourself more on racial profiling, and if you feel the way I do about it, let your voice be heard and help make a difference.