I Believe in Pictures.

Kaitlyn - Powhatan, Virginia

I believe a picture says a thousand words. I have always heard that saying, even from a young age, but I never really knew what it meant. Now that I have gotten a little bit older and have gone through different experiences in life I completely understand what that saying means.

I was flipping through a family photo album last week and each picture reminded me of the many memories and fun times that I have had with my family. The first picture I came across was a picture of my family in Dominican Republic. It reminded me of the fun we got to have in the sun, shade, warmth, and the new scene. Also it made me think about how different things were there and how the food was weird and all of the other cultural things that were different.

I continue to flip through the photo book and see a picture of me and my grandma. This picture also reminds me of different stories and memories. I am reminded of the day the picture was taken, the day my sister was born. My grandma had bought me a shirt that said “I am the big sister.” When I see this picture it also reminds me of all the good times and fun that I had with my grandma before she passed away. These pictures are a good way to remember her and are the only way I can see her now.

Another picture that I see is the most recent family photo. It will probably be the last family photo like this one. Some of my family will probably move away, get married, or have kids which would change our family photo completely. When I look at the picture of everyone it makes me laugh because I remember how we all tried to make sure all the girls were wearing the same colors and all the guys were wearing the same color, but at the same time all the colors needed to match. The picture is also funny because when we got the photo taken the poor photographer was having the hardest time getting all the young children to smile at the same time. He also was having a hard time getting them to stay still and look straight.

Pictures can say a thousand words. Once you look at a picture and start to think back to the day of the picture a lot of memories will pop into your head. Pictures are priceless, they can make you laugh, cry, or remember a loved one.