Love Knows No Limits

Sarah - Metairie, Louisiana
Themes: death, love

I believe that love knows no limits. From as far back as I can remember, the greatest example of true love was shown to me in my grandparents. My grandmother, Ruby, hardly able to walk due to terrible arthritis, relied heavily on my grandfather to bring her what she needed. My grandfather, George, legally blind to do glaucoma and macular degeneration, needed my grandmother to read to him and help him get around. However, they did not let these weaknesses bring them down; George would say that Ruby was his eyes and he was her legs. Everyday, George would sneak into the backyard and cut a rose off the rosebush for Ruby. Each night, they would hold hands in bed, say their prayers, and then my grandpa would proceed to tell my grandma how beautiful she was and how much he loved her.

On August 29, 2005, Hurricane Katrina destroyed the New Orleans area. My grandparents’ home of nearly sixty years was flooded in eight feet of water. My whole family knew that the physical and emotional stress Katrina put on my grandparents would send their health and spirits deteriorating faster than ever. On February 26, 2007, my family and I returned home from attending a Mardi Gras parade. As I was the first to enter my house, I was startled to see my grandparents sitting in the living room after midnight. Only one look at my grandma and I instantly knew what had happened; she had passed away only minutes before we arrived. My grandfather, standing over Ruby and fanning her, could not see her, and he did not know what had happened. In total disbelief of my grandma’s death, we could all see my grandpa’s heart breaking before our eyes. He had lost his wife, his one true love, his everything. George could not live with out the love of his life.

George entered the hospital about a month after the funeral. He said that all he wanted for his 90th birthday was to be with my grandmother. On June 3, 3006, his 90th birthday, we brought cake, ice cream, and all of his favorite food to the hospital. The doctors granted him his wish to eat whatever he wanted because they all knew what soon lay ahead of him. In search of the perfect birthday present, I went down to the gift shop and bought a four-foot birthday balloon that plays the birthday song when it is tapped. I brought it to my grandfather and played it for him. Unable to speak or see at the time, he could hear the music and tap his feet. The smile on his face showed me that he appreciated his gift. Even though this was a nice present for him, he got the best gift of all; he passed away the evening of his birthday and received my grandmother in Heaven as his gift, the only gift he really wanted. I truly feel that the power of love kept my grandparents together in this life and keeps them together forever in the next. I know that Ruby and George are up in Heaven, flirting with one another, holding hands, and watching over me everyday.