A Rule Should Not Be Changed

Christen - 37013, Tennessee

Wearing uniform at public schools has brought a dispute among people. Some say wearing uniforms hold back the self-expression of a child, and others say it will deny the children of their personality. Also, some believe that wearing uniforms has disadvantages for students because they can’t choose to wear intolerable clothing. However, it has been two years since all public schools students have been required to wear uniform, and I believe that should not be changed. I see that the students would take school seriously to maintain discipline, decrease violence and many gang related symbols, and not to engross others by wearing offensive clothes or low cost.

The most important reason for students to wear uniforms is to promote good discipline and to follow the dress code policy. Lack of guidelines about dress code is very important because if students wear baggy clothes they are able to conceal weapons and commit different crimes among the classrooms and also the environment. For instance, we all heard about the Columbia High School massacre in 1999 when two students shot and killed 12 students and a teacher. I think that was easy to carry and hide weapons in their baggy clothes. Another big issue in public school is the gang violence. Although gangsters are associated with different kinds of colors and symbols in order to commit crime during school, this is why students need to wear uniforms to not to be involved with this kind of behavior.

One of the common problems with students is competing with each other over clothes. Some wear fashionable clothes others wear something very casual. For this reason, students force their parents to have the clothes they want. By wearing school uniforms, parents would save money as well as students focus on their education instead of competing over clothes. In addition, the students want to look nice by spending too much time to make themselves ready to go to school but, wearing uniforms can save a lot of time for students by not to worry about to spent too much time on it.

Since wearing uniform in public promote good discipline, keep them away from conceal weapons and commit different crimes among the classrooms, decrease violence and many gang related symbols, and save money and time, students should keep wearing uniform at public school, and that rule should not be changed.