Hard Work and Discipline

Matt - Las Vegas, Nevada
Themes: sports, work

“Payday is game day boys, the harder you work, the bigger the pay check is.” One of my freshman football coaches said that to inspire us before practice everyday. The quote really stuck with me throughout practices and games. I believe in hard work and discipline.

Throughout my life, I have always given everything I have to what I am doing. I give one-hundred and ten percent in everything I do. Sure, there has been times were I want to quit or just not care about what I am doing. There have also been times where I just want to not give everything I have. I am a football player, and football takes hard work to get good at. I had to give my all in every single drill, every single play I was a part of, and every single one-hundred yard sprint we did for conditioning. Of course, there were practices that we made the coaches mad and in turn had to run extra sprints. Those times are when you have to give your all and stick through the tough times. Sure, when I got to sprints number seven and up, I was exhausted. I wanted to just sit down and catch my breath. I knew that I had to try harder and give my all to the punishment though, because that makes me a better person, and football player.

“When the game is on the line in the fourth quarter, are you going to be that person who gives everything they’ve got for the team or are you just going to say that your tired and slack off?” That is another motivational quote my coaches said. Basically, you have to always give your all to everything you do, and hard work and self-discipline help you do that. I told myself to keep pushing during those sprints. I told myself to keep a good stance, even though I was exhausted during practice. I gave every drill my all so that I could get better and start that week. My belief in hard work got me through a tough year in football.

My favorite band, Rise Against, had a song titled “Give It All”. In it, they sing “So give it all, and it’s these reasons that belong to me.” I have my reasons to give it all. One of them is football, but another is that I want to live my life to the fullest. I believe that through hard work and discipline you can live life to the fullest.