Who are we?

Carlos - Allentown, Pennsylvania

Most people that are overweight or pleasantly plumped are made fun of because of their size. People need to be happy regardless if they are fat or lean. America’s perception of hefty people is that they are lazy and don’t like to do work. To be “normal” in America, a person would have to be skinny. I believe being skinny or having muscles is overrated. There are so many responsibilities to keeping an image that people try to portray, and the image people portray isn’t even them. Also, heavy people perform activities that other people wouldn’t expect them to do.

People who are lean and have muscles get a lot of praise around where I’m from. What people don’t see is all the work that goes into getting to that point in their fitness. This type of lifestyle is overrated because most of the time people do unhealthy things to get their body as lean as possible. People do things like vomit up their food after meals, take unhealthy supplements, or just not eat anything at all. Even though these are unhealthy routines, people do it anyway because there is a sense of accomplishment to look the way most people in America want that person to look like. My whole life I’ve been trying to lose weight, but I never made progress. I tried dieting and exercising, but by no means had it worked. After failing to make any progress, I thought I was a failure and thought I wouldn’t become anything in this world. Subsequently, I remembered that I played college basketball at the division 3 level for Eastern University and if I could do that, there wasn’t anything I couldn’t do. This gave me confidence because some people couldn’t play a college sport even if they wanted to and it takes a special type of person to be a college Athlete. Then I started to consider that if everyone in the world would be skinny, there would be no diversity in this world and everyone would be the same. I came to that realization that everyone isn’t supposed to be the same and it is ok to be different then what I’ve seen on television. As long as I was happy with who I was, there wasn’t anything to notify me that I was outside of the norm or that I couldn’t make something of my life. People do make the decisions to make these choices, but I still blame it on the way television and the media illustrate how people should look. What the public needs to understand is that people on television have been touched up and have maybe been on a crazy diet that probably wasn’t healthy for them. To stop these dreadful habits from prolonging, people need to start being who they are and stop trying to be something that they aren’t. People need to be happy with themselves and give God thanks that they are alive for that beautiful day.