The Music Bug

Bryce - Meridian, Idaho

The Music Bug

I think that music is something beautiful, something that you can relate to, and something that is magical. I have loved music since I can remember. I think it mostly had something to do with music being in the house while I was growing up. My mom was very musical you see. She loved to play the piano and she also played the flute some times in church. She passed it on to my brother, sisters, and me. We all got the music bug, even my dad did, but he only sings in the church choir though.

I remember when I was 6 or 7; I got a little boom box for my birthday. It was the greatest thing ever! I loved the little radio, and looking back, it was little. It was my favorite thing though. I even took it to church once to show it off, I was so proud. With that little boom box, I also bought myself some cassette tapes. With those two things I would sit at the radio for hours and would tape the songs that I liked. I even still have my cassette with The Beach Boys and The Beatles on it. Ha, man were those the days! It was so much fun as a kid.

As I got older, music was still in my life! I learned to play the Clarinet in elementary and middle school. I moved on to the Alto Saxophone in high school. I also learned how to play the steel drums. Playing music was a wonderful experience and brought a new way of music into my life. I could now make music but it was never the same as just losing myself by listening to it. I loved just listening to the music. I even bought a clock radio so I could fall asleep listening to the music every night. Music is a source of escape for me.

I could always find a way to relate to the music, whether it’s alternative, rock, R&B, or even country. I love country music the most! I always found a part of me in the lyrics and could relate things going on in my life to what the music was talking about. Even though music has changed over the years, moving from cassette tape, to CD and now to MP3’s, it is still the same to me. Music is music and technology won’t change the joy that it brings into my life. Music is my escape from the world. Music is magical, and I believe in Music!