The Magic Herb

Justin - norfolk, Virginia
Themes: science

The Magic Herb

For thousands of years, people have practiced the ability to alleviate problems with medicine. The most risky drugs have been used, but for a reason never clearly stated by the government, marijuana has been deemed as illegal and dangerous. I believe the practice of safe, recreational and medical use of marijuana could be beneficial to many people with certain medical conditions.

The government has poured out over 4 billion dollars a year trying to maintain and diminish the use of a plant that was naturally grown thousands of years ago. In an economy of today and with the number of individuals that use the herb, the money is becoming a waste. Instead of spending so much money on enforcing laws on the plant, we should have more states use it for medical treatment in patients with certain medical conditions. In California, Oregon, and certain parts of Colorado the use of marijuana was legalized because it helps people with many medical conditions such as chronic migraines, cancer patients, and nausea. I have suffered from chronic migraines for twelve years, and I’ve seen that when I smoked marijuana, it was the only thing that would help sub side the throbbing pain I would have for days at a time. The use of marijuana has been diagnosed for people all over the world to reduce or cancel out the feeling of most chronic pains. Many countries have never thought of a reason why it should be illegal, since it only seems to help people’s problems.

Doctors also prescribe marijuana for stress in a lot of patients in the states that have made it legal. Marijuana would be a better replacement on the majority of drugs used for stress that are addictive and may be dangerous. While the best treatment for stress would be counseling, many people can not afford it or refuse to go. Since people continue to buy drugs for their stress, marijuana should replace the currently used drugs in some patients so they will be in less risk. In high school I was captain of the football team, ran track, wrestled, was in the specialty center of the arts, first chair trumpet in our schools wind ensemble, and worked a full time job as a manager. Sometimes the only thing that could make me not want to quit all the things I had going for me was smoking some cannabis. While smoking at a young age should not be accepted, it did help me when I did so.

What I believe in is the acceptance of a product that may help many medical conditions with out the feeling of being dependent on it. I hope that the good things done by the herb will someday be enough reason to make it through the thick shield we have developed over the acceptance of legalizing a simple plant. It will be inevitable in the future, so why not do it now.