I Believe in Engines

Chase - Awendaw, South Carolina
Themes: science

I believe in engines. This may sound strange to almost every woman and most men, but I believe in the fuel, the fire, and the desires that an automotive engine can provide.

I believe in raw torque. My favorite stories are those that tell of drag cars whose transmissions twisted the reinforced steel chassis. One of my favorite mementos is a torque converter that was shattered into pieces by 650 pounds per square foot of pressure. I drool over tales of 4,000 pounds of muscle car popping a wheelie off the starting line and creating a smoke screen that would shame Westvaco.

I mourn over the deaths of muscle cars that Hollywood creates due to their lack of knowledge of the history that they are erasing. I believe in reminding modern car owners of the bare horsepower of the 60’s and 70’s by revving my engine and initiating a stoplight challenge. I believe in engines that consume more gasoline that three Honda Civics put together. I believe racing chips, Nitro kits, and a 4 stage turbo are all covers for the lack of horsepower, torque, and dignity of the car’s engine who has these parts on it.

I believe in aftermarket parts that I can install myself: Hooker headers, Holley carburetors, and Eledbrock manifolds. I believe in the power of old fashioned carburetors that any high school drop out can work on.

I believe in rebuilding, swapping, and parting out engines. I believe in small blocks just as much as big blocks. I believe the spirit of a car is expressed solely from under the hood. I believe even those who understand only every fifth word of this essay have the power to learn enough to start their own car project and continue the legacy of GM, Dodge, and even Ford.